Marketing Automation Services for
Technology and Service Companies

Status Quo Map

Content

Marketing Automation and the Status Quo

Disrupting the Status Quo to Start the Buying Process

We all know about using pain points and aspirations as focal points for marketing messages. Those often work for those who have decided that it is time for a change and are in active search for a solution.

Few Are Looking to Change

Typically only 1% – 5% is searching for a seller to help them with their issue. The other 95% – 99% of any market is stuck with their “status quo” aka their current reality.

Remember the Buying Process:

Breaking the Status Quo

Perhaps instead of messaging around pain points we might consider messaging around status quo points.

We could start with what they are doing today. For example those who don’t use marketing automation typically do everything manually. This takes lots of manpower and struggles to see and communicate prospects evolution of buying interest. This is their status quo in marketing.

Some who don’t use marketing automation may be OK with the status quo for one or more of the following reasons:

  1. They don’t see the contrast between what they are doing and how it could be.
  2. They don’t think the change is worth the effort – no ROI.
  3. They feel the risk of trying to change and failing is too great.
  4. They don’t know how to do it.
  5. They doubt that it would work for them or in their situation.
  6. They don’t even know such a technology exists.
  7. They are using the technology but in a very limited way.
  8. They’ve tried the technology but failed for some reason – we call these folks “burn victims”.

Each item on the list above is a potential messaging opportunity. Like pain points you can test how the market resonates with each of these perspectives. For each of the eight messaging opportunities the task is to show how the status quo puts attainment of their goals, objectives and commitments at risk.

The next step is to get clear on why they are OK with the status quo; what do they like about it?

We all rationalize what we are doing today as long as we possibly can. After all, we can only stand so much change at any one time and life seems to automatically hand us enough without us going in search of more.

Unless your prospect is new in their role or new to the company they are likely to have significant investment in and inclination to defend the status quo; in many cases they chose it and they see the benefits of it through their eyes.

Let’s examine this from the perspective of the eight status quo points above:

 

The third step is to show them that things have changed that no longer make the status quo an acceptable solution. What issues, changes, competitors, risks, or opportunities have emerged since prospects settled on the status quo?

If the prospect’s status quo is OK in the current situation then there probably is no reason for them to consider change; the status quo makes sense.

We can’t assume. Your task is to just point out the changes you see and why those changes may have an impact on them in their industry, their role and with their goals/objectives. Once the prospect see’s what you see they may also see the cost to them of the status quo.

The fourth step is to show why the status quo has a critical gap between what is and what is needed to succeed. You’ll want to show how those critical gaps are filled by your capabilities.

These critical gaps must be too large for the status quo to be tweaked to cover. It must be apparent that no reasonable person would or could expect the status quo to be a satisfactory solution. This is the pivot point for successful messages if you wish to disrupt the status quo.

Are you ready to leverage disrupting the status quo in your content or messaging? Contact Eric at 503-635-2319 or eric@apg7.com

Give us your thoughts...