The dirty little secret of a lousy economy
Money is everywhere. sales are happening. People are making their mortgage payments, people are paying off their credit card bills, and sales people and business development professionals are getting promoted.
It may surprise you to hear that only 3.8 percent of college graduates are un-employed, according to an article in a 2008 Newsweek. Most of the unemployment is among those without sufficient education.
Earl Nightingale said it
Earl Nightingale, the late motivational speaker, said, “You move in the direction of your currently dominant thought.”
Take an inventory
Are you watching lots of TV? Listening to “poor me” radio? Reading newspaper articles about the 10 – 20 percent of the population that is struggling? Are you looking to get depressed? If that is what you’re doing, you shouldn’t be too surprised that you’re succeeding and getting depressed.
False Evidence Appearing Real. The reality, by any objective measure, is that, for the vast majority of people, things are still very good. Scrutinize and inspect evidence that tempts you to draw a negative conclusion or have a negative thought.
Where are you focused?
I am focused on what works, my goals, my customers, the new clients I want. I work hard, I keep my word, I set and meet deadlines, and I deliver results.
|Successful Focus||Dead-end Focus|
|Good news||Bad news|
|What’s right in the world||What’s wrong in the world|
|Keeping my word||Making excuses|
|Why I can||Why I can’t|
|Taking repeated action||Thinking about it|
|Making more money||Avoiding loss|
|Being healthy||Being comfortable|
|Great results||Pleasing activities|
|Goals||Not being pinned down|
|Deadlines||I’ll get around to it|
|Being accountable (“count-on-able”)||Being unaccountable (not “count-on-able”)|
|Always learning||Always being entertained|
But you don’t understand
Lots of bad things happen out there. I have had way more than my share. It’s not what happens to you that really counts. It’s what you do about it that tells the story, and constitutes your life. You always have a choice, and you can always take action. And no, things will not always work out just the way you want them to.
Focus is the key
It starts slowly. Over time it builds. Soon, you are miles away from where you started, and you can hardly remember how it used to be. Focus on what you want in this life, and stop paying attention to what you don’t want.
Consider doing these:
- Hanging around downer people.
- Engaging in doom‘n gloom conversations.
- Watching the news.
- Reading the gloomy parts of the newspaper.
- Doing stupid things, when you know in advance that they’re probably not going to end well. You’re smarter than that.
- Caring about celebrities, scam artists, and other boneheads in our world.
- Doing harmful things to your body, like eating and drinking too dang much.
- Looking at your goals, daily.
- Taking more action.
- Speaking positively (you don’t have to be ridiculously and unrealistically optimistic).
- Hanging with successful people.
- Spending time with people who will hold you accountable.
- Reading my books or anything that builds skill and attitude.
- Sleeping at least eight hours a night.
- Cutting the sugar.
- Letting those you love know it in no uncertain terms.
- Doing the work and making the money.
- Being successful just for the next hour, day, week, month, year. And then for the rest of your life.
Where there is a will, there is a way
You always have a choice. If your focus is in the toilet, there’s only one person to blame, and you can find that person in the mirror.
The road to the life you want starts when you finish this article. You will have to make a choice about what you put into your brain, every hour, from now on. As the old saying goes, “Garbage in, garbage out.” Your brain and your focus are your willing servants. What will you have them do?
To the focus of kings, over the focus of peasants,